Meet Dr. Serpe
He grew up in Alsip, IL, and has always gravitated towards helping others. In the past, he volunteered at a teen suicide hotline with the SWYMCA and had an original degree direction in social work. His parents provided an excellent example of healthy living by teaching him about eating well and encouraging life long exercise. Together, his parents have completed over 26 marathons in Chicago, Boston and countries as far away as Norway.
Dr. Serpe changed his degree direction away from Social Work to Chiropractic after personally going to a chiropractor for a back problem. He was encouraged by the ability of the body to heal if given the chance. After interviewing a variety of doctors (internal medicine, chiropractors, family practice, orthopedic, etc.) he made the choice to change his major. Spurred on by his conversations and impressed by the chiropractors, he enrolled and was accepted at the National College of Chiropractic.
Dr. Joseph M. Serpe, DC, has been treating patients since graduating from the National College of Chiropractic with honors in 1992. In May of 1996, he founded Serpe Chiropractic Center, SC now known as The NeuroPlus Institute.
Since graduating, Dr. Serpe has dedicated his practice to helping people with chronic conditions that have not responded well to other treatments or who have not met their recovery goals using other methods.
He is a board eligible in chiropractic neurology with over 350 hours of postgraduate study. He continues to attend monthly seminars in neurology, the treatment of various chronic conditions, functional medicine and nutrition.
He has studied under some of the top doctors in functional medicine including Dr. Datis Kharrazian, D.C., M.S., F.A.A.C.P., D.A.C.B.N., D.I.B.A.K., C.N.S., C.C.N., C.S.C.S., C.C.S.P., Dr. David Clark, D.C., D.A.C.B.N., Dr. Jeffery Bland PhD and many others. Dr. Serpe has exceptional skills in functional blood work analysis, thyroid problems, endocrinology, neutotransmitters and the brain, the non-surgical treatment of disc degeneration, herniation and bulging, as well as, specialized certification in spinal rehabilitation.
As one of only 100 chiropractors in the United States to hold a Certification as a Chiropractic Golf Specialist, Dr. Serpe brings unique talents in diagnosis and rehab to those who enjoy the game of golf and sports in general.
Post Graduate Work
- Diplomate American Association of Integrative Medicine
- Board Eligible in Chiropractic Neurology with over 600 hours postgraduate work
- Certified in Neurofeedback and qEEG
- Certified Interactive Metronome Physician
- Spinal Rehabilitation
- Trained in Eyelights
- Trained in AMT-2 Core Stability Therapy
- Certified Chiropractic Golf Specialist
- Functional Blood Analysis
- Functional Endocrinology
- Neurotransmitters and the brain
- Autonomic Dysfunction
- ADHD, Dyslexia and Developmental Disorders
- Vertigo/Balance Disorders
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Rehabilitation
- Neurologically specific adjustment techniques
- Member of the International Association of Functional Neurology & Rehabilitation
- Member of the American Chiropractic Association
- Member of the Illinois Chiropractic Society
- Member of the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association
- Member of the National Fibromyalgia Association
Dr. Serpe and his wife Michele, live with their four children in the Fox Valley area. They are active members of Ginger Creek Community Church in Aurora. Dr. Serpe plays guitar and enjoys cycling, digital photography and spending time with his family and friends.